Ethyl Lactate Market: Introduction
- Ethyl lactate (C5H10O3) is an ester of lactic acid that can be considered as a green chemical due to its nontoxic, biodegradable, and excellent solvent properties. It is used in many industries with general application as solvent for production of nitrocellulose, food additive, perfumery, flavor chemicals as well as drug industries.
- Conventional production of ethyl lactate is from esterification of lactic acid with ethanol. The reaction proceeds well in an acid environment. Therefore, homogeneous or heterogeneous acid catalysts are generally used to accelerate the reaction.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Ethyl Lactate Market
- Demand for ethyl lactate is expected to increase at a significant pace during the forecast period due to rise in usage of ethyl lactate in cosmetics and personal care products. It is used in the formulation of moisturizers, washing products, and other skincare products, as well as in cosmetics, shampoos, hair dyes, colors, and other hair care products. It is often found in cosmetics designed to enhance the general appearance and feel of the skin. Consumers around the world are inclined toward organic personal care products, led by the rise in demand for organic compounds. This is projected to fuel the market during the forecast period. Ethyl lactate is employed in the cosmetic industry in supercritical fluid technology for the extraction of antioxidants. However, adverse health effects of ethyl lactate in humans are likely to hamper the market during the forecast period
Ethyl Lactate Market: Grade Segment
- Based on grade, the ethyl Lactates market can be divided into food grade, technical grade, and high purity grade
- The food grade segment dominates the ethyl lactate market
- Ethyl lactate is a monobasic ester that is made up of ethanol and lactic acid and is used as a food additive. Food grade ethyl lactate additives play an important role in food and beverage manufacturing, as they not only help stabilize and lengthen the shelf-life, but also enhance the flavor and texture of food products.
- In the modern world, the production of food and the use of green products with environmental-conscious production and disposal implications is becoming increasingly desirable. Ethyl lactate derived from fermented corn-starch is exempt from many disposal restrictions due to its biodegradable nature. It is also a low-cost alternative to many other organic solvents.
COVID-19 Impact on Global Ethyl Lactate Market
- On January 30, 2020, the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee of the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak a public health emergency of international concern. Originating in China, the virus has spread to at least 214 countries and territories around the world.
- Several governments and private sector businesses are operating at a limited capacity or have ceased operations completely due to recent events surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic
- The outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic has led to disturbance in the supply chain due to the global lockdown in several countries. Also, the spread of coronavirus caused a fall in demand for chemical intermediates due to uncertainty in the global economy and capital markets.
- The ethyl lactate market has been adversely affected due to the restrictions imposed owing to the COVID-19 pandemic. Nationwide lockdowns and closure of manufacturing facilities have negatively impacted the ethyl lactate market. However, the market is anticipated to expand at a healthy pace during the forecast period due to the acceptance of new normal conditions and restart of various end-use industries in many counties across the globe.
Asia Pacific to Hold Leading Share of Global Ethyl Lactate Market
- In terms of region, the ethyl lactate market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific is expected to hold major share of the global ethyl lactate market, followed by North America and Europe, during the forecast period
- Asia Pacific is set to continue to be one of the largest and fastest-growing consumers and producers of ethyl lactate globally. Strong and healthy growth in end-use industries such as food & beverages, pharmaceuticals, and personal care is associated with the rise in population and middle-class economy. This is driving the ethyl lactate market in Asia Pacific.
- According to the India Brand Equity Foundation, the per capita spending on luxury personal care and beauty goods is expected to expand at a 15% CAGR from 2018 to 2023. According to Invest India, the pharma Industry's overall market value in India is projected to reach US$ 130 Bn by 2030. Thus, demand for ethyl lactate is anticipated to increase during the forecast period owing to the growth of end-use industries.
More Trending Reports
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Ethyl Lactate Market
The ethyl lactate market was consolidated in 2020. Major players have prominent presence in developed and developing countries. Key manufacturers operating in the ethyl lactate market include:
- Godavari Biorefineries
- Musashino Chemical Laboratory
- Vertec BioSolvents
- Yancheng Hongtai Bioengineering
- Huade Biological Engineering
- Henan Kangyuan
- Shenzhen Esun Industrial
- Haijianuo Bioengineer
- Jindan Lactic Acid