Nonwoven Industrial Membranes Market: Overview
- Nonwoven membranes are broadly defined as web structures or sheets bonded together by entangling fibers or filaments mechanically, chemically, or thermally
- Nonwoven industrial membranes are used widely in the biopharmaceutical industry, as their intermediates and products are prone to degradation due to chemical treatment and heat. Harvesting of cells and recuperation of biomass is a key step in the process of fermentation during the manufacture of products such as antibiotics. Filtration improves production and reduces operator’s workload and maintenance costs. Membranes are also a standard part of production lines for enzymes.
Rise in Demand for Nonwoven Industrial Membranes in Pharmaceutical & Medical Industry to Drive Market
- Rapid industrialization and increase in number of end-use applications are key factors expected to drive the nonwoven industrial membranes market. Nonwoven industrial membranes are an ideal choice for usage in a wide range of industries and applications, as they are lightweight and spun bonded.
- Rise in importance of water and wastewater treatment is another factor anticipated to boost the demand for nonwoven industrial membranes. The primary function of nonwoven membranes is to filter and separate various phases and components of fluid (both air and liquid), which is transported through a medium or to support medium that carries out separation. Nonwoven membranes are low cost, have high durability, adaptability, efficiency, and possess higher airflow. Furthermore, they have the lowest cost vs. benefit/performance.
- Rise in demand for nonwoven industrial membranes in the pharmaceutical & medical industry is driving the market. Heat is used to sterilize wine, juice, and beer; however, a palatable loss in taste was clearly evident upon heating. Similarly, pharmaceuticals lose their effectiveness upon heat addition. Nonwoven industrial membranes are employed in these industries in order to remove bacteria and other undesired suspensions from liquids, a process termed as ‘cold sterilization,’ which negates the use of heat.
- The global nonwoven industrial membranes market is facing supply-demand shortages due to the industrial shutdown triggered by the COVID-19 outbreak. Disruption in supply of raw materials is anticipated to hamper full-scale operations. Supply shortage has also led to a rise in prices of raw materials. Additionally, industrial shutdown has adversely impacted product and inventory transportation, as logistic services have been hampered due to the COVID-19 outbreak.
Spiral Wound Type Segment to Offer Lucrative Opportunities
- Based on type, the global nonwoven industrial membranes market can be segmented into spiral wound, hollow fiber, tubular, and plate & frame
- The spiral wound segment held major share of the global nonwoven industrial membranes market in 2019. Spiral wound membranes are manufactured by winding consecutive layers of membrane, feed spacers, permeate collection channels, and membranes around a perforated center tube for permeate collection. Popular reverse osmosis membranes are spiral wound. They offer similar advantages as others at lower energy costs due to higher packing density and reduced pumping requirements.
Pharmaceutical & Medical Application Segment to Hold Major Share of Market
- Based on application, the nonwoven industrial membranes market can be divided into water & wastewater treatment, pharmaceutical & medical, food & beverages, chemical, and industrial gas
- The pharmaceutical & medical segment is expected to dominate the global nonwoven industrial membranes market during the forecast period. Toxic chemicals are used in many pharmaceutical processes. Therefore, the need for clean workspace is a priority. This has created significant opportunities for air filters, where industrial membranes are utilized. The pharmaceutical industry includes a wide range of production processes, ranging from simple chemical synthesis to compound drug production.
More Trending Reports
Asia Pacific to Constitute Significant Share of Global Nonwoven Industrial Membranes Market
- In terms of region, the global nonwoven industrial membranes market can be split into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific dominated the global market in 2019, owing to the presence of key manufacturers as well as growth in trade activities from China. Expansion of the manufacturing industry and the water & wastewater treatment and pharmaceutical & medical sectors in Asia Pacific is expected to boost the nonwoven industrial membranes market in the region in the near future.
- North America is also projected to hold large share of the global nonwoven industrial membranes market during the forecast period.
Key Players in Market
- Manufacturers of nonwoven industrial membranes are highly consolidated in Asia Pacific. Trading activities from countries in Asia Pacific, such as China, have been increasing at a rapid pace since the last few years.
- Prominent players operating in the global market are investing in technological developments and new product launch in order to maintain their leading position
Key players operating in the global nonwoven industrial membranes market include:
- Berry Global Inc.
- Toray Industries Inc.
- Lydall, Inc.
- Johns Manville
- Twe Group
- Freudenberg Group
- 3m Company
- Asahi Kasei Corporation
- Fiberweb (India) Ltd.
- HOLLINGSWORTH & VOSE