Amino Acid Derivatives: Introduction
- Amino acids and their derivatives belong to a compound containing carboxyl group and amino group. They exist in free-state and bound-state forms.
- Derivatives of free amino acids are present in all types of animal cells and body fluids, while the derivatives of bound amino acids are basic components of proteins and peptides. Amino acid derivatives are building blocks for active ingredients that are utilized in cosmetic, pharmaceutical, nutrition, and health products.
- Biotechnological is a popular method to produce amino acids. This biotechnology based production is expensive, but plays an important role in the production of amino acids. Modern biotechnology is applied to increase the production yield. However, enzyme catalysis is expected to remain the popular method used for the production of amino acids and its derivatives during the forecast period.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Amino Acid Derivatives Market
- The global amino acid derivatives market is primarily driven by the increase in demand for amino acid derivatives for usage in nutrition & nutraceutical industry. Amino acid derivatives are used in nutrient supplements, as these promote tissue growth, energy production, immune function, and nutrient absorption.
- Usage of amino acid derivatives in cosmetic peptides encourages anti-wrinkling and anti-aging properties. Increase in demand for cosmetic peptides in cosmetic products is anticipated to boost the demand for amino acid derivatives. Thus, rise in demand for amino acid derivatives in the cosmetic industry is projected to drive the global amino acid derivatives market.
Amino Acid Derivatives Market: Segments
- The amino acid derivatives market can be segmented based on purity, derivative type, and end-use industry
- Based on purity, the global amino acid derivatives market can be bifurcated into < 99% and ≥ 99%. The ≥ 99% segment holds major share of the market. Amino acid derivatives with ≥ 99% purity are extensively employed in pharmaceutical and nutraceutical applications, as they possess exceptional properties to produce peptides.
- In terms of derivative type, the amino acid derivatives market can be segregated into coupling reagents; N-BOC-amino acids; N-Fmoc-amino acids; N-Z-amino acids; esters of amino acids; amides of amino acids; L-, DL- & D-amino acids; and others. The L-, DL- & D-amino acids segment is estimated to hold major share of the global amino acid derivatives market in the near future. Derivatives of L-, DL- & D-amino acids function as a neurotransmitter, biosynthesizer, and nutritional supplements materials.
- Based on end-use industry, the amino acid derivatives market can be divided into biotechnology & pharmaceuticals, nutrition & nutraceuticals, cosmetics, and others. The biotechnology & pharmaceutical segment accounted for major share of the global amino acid derivatives market in 2020. Amino acid derivatives are widely used in the pharmaceutical industry owing to their hypoglycemic, antiketogenic, antibacterial, and antifungal properties.
COVID-19 Impact on Amino Acid Derivatives Market
- Emergence of the new COVID strain in many developed and developing countries has adversely affected the health care infrastructure. Hospital staff, medicines, oxygen beds, and ventilators are in short supply. Supply chains are facing disruptions, leading to disturbances in production activities in many countries. This is adversely affecting the global amino acid derivatives market.
- On January 30, 2020, the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee of the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak a public health emergency of international concern. Originating in China, the virus has spread to at least 213 countries and territories around the world.
More Trending Reports
Asia Pacific to Dominate Amino Acid Derivatives Market
- In terms of geography, the global amino acid derivatives market can be segmented into North America, Latin America, Asia Pacific, Europe, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific accounted for major share of the global amino acid derivatives market in 2020 due to the presence of a large number of manufacturers and processors of the pharmaceutical industry. The market in Asia Pacific is anticipated to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period due to the rise in industrialization in countries such as China and Japan.
- Demand for amino acid derivatives in the U.S. is anticipated to increase owing to the rise in research activities in amino acid derivatives and their manufacturing practices
- North America and Europe are major hubs for manufacturing and processing of nutraceutical and cosmetic industries. North America and Europe held vital share of the global market in 2020 due to the rise in demand for amino acid derivatives in the nutraceutical and cosmetic industries in these regions.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Amino Acid Derivatives
- The global amino acid derivatives market was consolidated in 2020. Major players have prominent presence in developed and developing countries. Key manufacturers operating in the global amino acid derivatives market include:
- Ajinomoto Co., Inc.
- CJ CheilJedang Corp.
- Evonik Indusries AG
- Fufeng Group
- KYOWA HAKKO BIO CO., Ltd.
- Senn Chemicals
- Tokyo Chemical Industry Co., Ltd.
- Varsal Chemicals